My ISP sucks!

My ISP sucks. I love having zero choice over which provider is going to provide my service. I live in a small but growing suburban town. Regrettably this town is growing faster then its city planner can keep up with and we are constantly plagued by power issues and traffic.

When I say traffic I mean the IP and automobile kind. It takes entirely too freaking long to go from my house to the freeway.

I'm complaining about my ISP because I feel like being a whiney little B*&^#. I'm trying to avoid the unnecessary cursing that I'm prone to give in to.

I have so many things to complain about I don't where to start. One part of me wants to complain about work (we were real busy today and nobody gives a turd other than the people that suffered on the helpdesk, the boss, and maybe one or two other people.) The other part of me wants to complain about something else but I'm so jacked up on feeling lousy I don't know what to complain about.

I spent an close to an hour today just dealing with a client issue involving network capacity and planning for tying together remote facilities. We were initially looking into deploying some Cisco routers at each endpoint and then installing and setting up a VPN server or service that would create a WAN that would allow for better collaboration but after a much needed conference call, that couldn't have come at a worse time mind you, it was determined that at this point we don't need to spend the 10,000 we were looking at. Right now the client just wants to do a little business process management and find a better way to track his metrics.

So now we are looking at deploying a SAN and creating a new directory/permission structure to allow remote people to work on a homogenous set of spreadsheets. Now this solution will allow for the desired results and come in at under a grand total compared to ten grand. Now that's a solution I can live with.

The cool part about this whole solution is that we drop in a SAN set it up, configure it to punch through the corporate firewall, and BAM we have a solution that has a low-cost entry point, it's easy to maintain, and its also easily scaleable.

Damn I deserve a raise!

Anyway I still have done nothing on my personal list of things to do: Better Blog, revised website, etc...But I am getting a whole lot of work done at work. Previously I would be lucky to get four or five mini-projects done a month. I'm getting that many done in a week now with the new help desk staff in place. It's amazing what properly trained people can get done. Now I just wish that we could go back and put a couple of the older folks through a newer updated training class to cover those deficiencies that never got addressed on their spin-ups.

On the academic front it looks like I might be taking a single college class this coming fall. I have no idea what class I'll take. I mean do I take something like freshman English. I'm already pretty well into my career path so freshman English seems kind of dumb. I mean I'd rather take higher level degree specific classes like object orientated programming or Advanced Routing or something. I guess I'll figure it out when I get there.

Posted by Jeff while waiting on a return email from my ISP.

Comments

Popular Posts