Awards and recognition

Today I attended our 5th Annual State of the Union.

It's a voluntary event that is silently mandatory. Which translates to you better freaking be there and if you're not there everyone is going to wonder why you didn't show up. I'm salaried so it doesn't matter if I show up or not other than just losing some personal time. For hourly people it doubly sucks. You lose personal time and you don't get paid.

Okay some people got paid based on this if we pull your ticket you get some money thing, but I didn't any money. I never win shit anyway.

I did get an award though. Our President is a really cool guy that I will leave unnamed. I don't think that I've ever disclosed where I really work since we don't have a real clear policy on whether or not blogs are allowed so I'll just leave it kind of vague and enigmatic for now.

Anyway this award I received is really just plastic and some bronzy looking stuff that's just shiny plastic but it still feels good to be recognized publicly. I'm not one of those big head ego guys (even though my significant other thinks I am sometimes.) I don't have a formal job title at work other than teamleader which is a new thing our boss introduced awhile back. For the longest time I've just been "that guy" that you would go to when the shit hit the fan and you needed someone to "pull it off". Whatever it and that were at the moment.

I put in long hours and lot's of time working. I rarely go an entire night where someone doesn't try to "tap" my brain for something. I NEVER leave work onetime since it's always "hey [insert my name], can you look at this for a second. I swear it'll be a quick one". Then two and half hours later I'm leaving work and driving home when another employee calls me with another question.

Without getting all trippy I'm just going to say that the recognition is nice. It does make you feel good.

I recorded a small portion of the 4 hour event so I can show those people that didn't show up some of the stuff. (where the foo where you guys anyway?)

Some friends of mine did win some cash so ladies you guys have to buy me at least a Mt. Dew or Dr. Pepper or something the next time we get to work.

The new camcorder that I bought my woman for mothers day is pretty nice. It's the first time I've really used it. My only problems would be that the manual focus feature would be nice sometimes. It kind of has what I call an "electronic lazy eye". It isn't quite sure what I'm trying to focus on so it just kind of takes that extra second or two. It kind of looks like the world when you wake up in the middle of the night and you got all that glaucoma gunk in your eye and some car has passed it's bright lights right between your curtain which never really keeps the light out of your room and you're not sure if it was even a headlight or the arch-angel Michael coming down from heaven to beat your ass with his trumpet or something.

Anyway it's another night in my life. Tomorrow is mothers day and I'm broke as hell. (camcorder+ipod+120 Gig hard drive.)

Happy Mothers day to all you mothers out that their that read, or stumble upon my blog. Good luck and good night!

Call you Mom tomorrow. This includes step-moms (I love you!) and mother-in-laws. (I love you too but I hate your wicked ways!)


Posted by Jeff clutching his [insert President's name] award.

Comments

Popular Posts